Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Laila: Impeccable words and humor

What happens when your humor dabbles in the unimpeccable? Tricky.  And what if some of your friendships have that humor as a connector?  Very tricky.  Today I listened to a friend tell me about an evening out and a group of women he observed. A friend who was out to dinner with him referred to the women as "the real housewives of some white trash town" - I laughed, because it was funny, as was the story leading up to the comment. But I felt a little weird for laughing because of my new commitment. Of course I didn't know these women, so I wasn't laughing at someone I knew. (Insert big sigh here.)  My humor certainly has less of an edge to it then when I was in my 20's, or even my 30's for that matter when reading websites like suck.com would bring me to tears from laughing so hard. But every now and then it sneaks up on me in those bonding moments with others. And I don't want to make anyone else uncomfortable by not responding to something they say in the manner they might have come to expect, that wouldn't be nice would it?  To borrow a line from the movie What About Bob, I choose baby steps!

1 comment:

  1. Laila, I can't believe you posted on this! My next post was going to be EXACTLY the same topic. As we've talked about, the best kind of funny makes fun of nobody. But it is SO HARD! I'll write my bit on this tomorrow. (off to check out suck.com)

    ReplyDelete