Monday, March 28, 2011

Laila: Impeccable speech and the dog

Already this morning I have had a challenge that begs the question - does being impeccable with your word extend to your dog?  

It's raining, chocolate lab eats and goes outside. I am already resigned to the fact that I will need to wipe him off before he comes in, that's fine. I let him into the screened in porch and go in search of a towel. In the 30 seconds I have left him he heads back outside and starts barking at the back door while standing in the rain.  "What is that dumb-dumb doing" I sigh heading over to let him in. My 4 year old Jiminy Cricket calls me on it right away - "He's not dumb!"  Ooops. So after I try and explain why I said that, and realizing the excuse falls flat on her ears, I come to the conclusion that my choice of words were not necessary or impeccable ( but still true in my mind, and this is about directing words towards truth and love afterall, and I have not had my coffee yet either). 

Maybe the above scenario should have gone like this:  "Oh that silly dog, he is getting all wet out there. I bet he's cold, I should make sure he comes in right away so I can dry him off and get him all toasty."  But doesn't that sound too much like that Will Ferrell skit on Saturday Night Live when he uses sarcasm to train dogs?

So going forward not only will I have my own conscious to deal with, but the monitoring of my daughter - which alone will require a lot of self control on my part. Of course by the end of the week I will have this down pat and only beautiful words will pass my lips creating joy within me and wherever I go - right????  That or I will have to stifle those "other" words with cake, lots of cake.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I had a very similar problem with my fridge drawer which would not shut. My question is, if I curse at my fridge and there is no 5 year old to hear it, is it still un-impeccable? L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! We have a little Jiminy Cricket here too! What a great idea you guys are embarking on! Looking forward to following it!

    ReplyDelete